Disaster Food Assistance & Flood Resources

The Arkansas Department of Human Services (DHS) announced that eligible residents in Arkansas, Conway, Crawford, Desha, Faulkner, Jefferson, Logan, Perry, Pope, Pulaski, Sebastian, and Yell counties can receive Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (D-SNAP) benefits. The deadline for the application is this Friday, June 28th. D-SNAP benefits are provided on an electronic, debit-like card and can be used to buy food items at authorized retailers.

People from these counties who experienced at least one of the following as a direct result of the flooding that began May 21, 2019, may be eligible:

  • Damage to or destruction of the home or self-employment business
  • Loss or inaccessibility of income, including a reduction or termination of income or a significant delay in receiving income, due to disaster-related problems
  • Disaster-related expenses (home or business repairs, temporary shelter, evacuation, etc.) that are not expected to be reimbursed during the disaster benefit period

People seeking D-SNAP must apply in-person before Friday, June 28. D-SNAP applications will be accepted at the following locations from 7 am to 6 pm:

  • Arkansas County DHS Office (Dewitt) located at 100 Court Square, Dewitt, AR 72042
  • Arkansas County DHS Office (Stuttgart) located at 203 South Leslie, Stuttgart, AR 72160
  • Conway County DHS Office located at #2 Bruce Street, Morrilton, AR.72110
  • Crawford County DHS Office located at 704 Cloverleaf Cir., Van Buren, AR.72956
  • Desha County DHS Office, located at 200 North First Street, Mcgehee, AR, 71654
  • Faulkner County DHS Office, located at 1000 East Siebenmorgen, Conway, AR 72033
  • Jefferson County DHS Office located at 1222 West 6th, Pine Bluff, AR 71611
  • Logan County (Paris) DHS Office located at #17 West McKeen, Paris, AR 72855
  • Logan County (Booneville) DHS Office located at 398 East 2nd, Booneville, AR 72927
  • Perry County DHS Office located at 213 Houston Avenue, Perryville, AR 72126
  • Pope County DHS Office located at 701 North Denver, Russellville, AR 72801
  • Pulaski Jacksonville County DHS Office located at 2636 West Main, Jacksonville, AR 72078
  • Pulaski North Little Rock County DHS Office located at 1900 East Washington Avenue, North Little Rock, AR 72119
  • Pulaski South County DHS Office located at 1105 MLK, Jr., Little Rock, AR 72203
  • Pulaski Southwest County DHS Office located at 6801 Baseline Rd, Little Rock, AR 72209
  • Sebastian County Ft. Smith Sears Bldg, 5111 Rodgers Ave, Ft. Smith, AR 72903
  • Yell County DHS Office located at 904 M Street/Highway 10 East, Danville, AR 72833

*If you cannot apply at one of the above locations you may apply at any DHS County Office.

To qualify for D-SNAP (disaster food benefits), you must have lived in an area impacted by the floods AND suffered flood related property damages. The DHS Special Investigations Unit will perform random home visits on selected cases and the DHS Quality Assurance Unit will review each case that is approved for benefits.

Setting Up an Online Disaster Assistance Account

After you have registered with FEMA, you will need to provide important documents such as an insurance denial, insurance settlement letter, proof of ownership of damaged property, and proof that the damaged property was your primary residence at the time of the disaster.

An easy way to do this is by setting up an account and uploading your documents from there. Applicants with online accounts can:

  • Check the status of the application and inspection.
  • Update personal information, such as current mailing address and phone number
  • Securely view messages from FEMA.
  • 24/7 FEMA Internet Helpdesk (for online account issues only).

To set up a disaster assistance account:

  • Go to https://www.disasterassistance.gov/.
  • Create an online account with the same email address you provided during registration. A PIN will be sent to the email address on file. You can then log into your account.

You can now upload your important documents in the Upload Center. (This page takes you to the login if you are returning to add more documents: https://www.disasterassistance.gov/DAC/govBenefitReceiver).

You can also submit important documents by faxing them to (800) 827-8112 (be sure to include registration number prominently on the cover page), or by mailing them to:

FEMA – Individuals & Households Program National Processing Service Center
P.O. Box 10055
Hyattsville, MD 20782-8055

Or by visiting a disaster recovery center. (Find a disaster recovery center at https://egateway.fema.gov/ESF6/DRCLocator)

Simply showing the inspector your documents will not suffice. You must submit them to FEMA either by submitting them online, faxing or mailing them, or by visiting a disaster recovery center.

Victims can register for FEMA assistance through August 7, 2019, online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov,or may call 800-621-3362 or (TTY) 800-462-7585. Those who use 711 Relay or Video Relay Services may call 800-621-3362. The toll-free telephone numbers are open from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. local time, seven days a week. Survivors may also visit a disaster recovery center to apply for assistance (find a disaster recovery center at https://egateway.fema.gov/ESF6/DRCLocator).

Federal Disaster Assistance for Renters

Renters in Arkansas counties whose homes and property were damaged or uninhabitable because of recent severe storms and floods may be eligible for federal disaster assistance.

Aid is available to residents of Arkansas, Conway, Crawford, Desha, Faulkner, Jefferson, Logan, Perry, Pope, Pulaski, Sebastian and Yell counties. There are federal grants that can help pay for temporary housing. Disaster survivors may be eligible for housing assistance grants that could include rental assistance and temporary lodging reimbursement.

Also, the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) offers low-interest disaster loans to help Arkansas renters repair or replace disaster-damaged personal property, including automobiles. Loan rates as low as 1.938 percent with terms up to 30 years can be made for eligible losses up to $40,000. Eligible losses include damages to personal property in designated counties that are either uninsured or under-insured, and the survivor has not received compensation from other sources.

In addition to homeowners, renters may also be eligible for Other Needs Assistance (ONA) through FEMA for uninsured or underinsured necessary expenses and serious needs caused by the disaster.

Other Needs Assistance can be used for:

  • Disaster-related medical, dental and funeral expenses, as well as assistive devices such as wheelchairs, canes, communication boards and related equipment, and prescriptions
  • Replacement or repair of personal property lost or damaged in the disaster, such as room furnishings or appliances, and tools and equipment required by the self-employed for their jobs
  • A primary vehicle and an approved second vehicle damaged by the disaster.

Eligibility for some ONA grants may be determined at the time of application or in some cases after completing and returning an SBA application. Applicants referred to SBA must complete and submit their SBA loan application to be considered for additional grant assistance for personal property.

The first step for renters is to register with FEMA for assistance. To do so:

  • Go to www.disasterassistance.gov or
  • Call 800-621-3362 or 800-462-7585 (TTY). Consider applying for a low-interest disaster loan if you are a renter.

Information about low-interest SBA disaster loans and application forms are available online at SBA.gov/disaster. You may also call 800-659-2955 or email disastercustomerservice@sba.gov. If you use TTY, call 800-877-8339.

You can check to see if you are eligible for disaster assistance from other state, federal and voluntary organizations by visiting www.disasterassistance.gov/get-assistance/find-assistance. This tool can help you identify available resources in your community.

Disaster Recovery Centers

Disaster recovery centers are open in Mayflower (Faulkner County), North Little Rock (Pulaski County), Houston (Perry County), Mulberry (Crawford County), Dardanelle (Yell County), and Pine Bluff (Jefferson Countyto offer in-person support to individuals and businesses in counties included in the Arkansas federal disaster declaration for flooding on the Arkansas River in late May. 

Representatives from the State of Arkansas, FEMA, the U.S. Small Business Administration, and other organizations are at the centers to explain available assistance programs and help connect survivors with resources that best match their recovery needs. The disaster recovery centers are located at: 

Tornado Shelter
4 Grove Circle (Behind 1st Security Bank)
Mayflower, AR 72106

North Little Rock Community Center
2700 Willow Street
North Little Rock, AR 72114 

First Assembly of God
2151 Arkansas Hwy 60
Houston, AR 72070

Mulberry Community Center
29 Kirksey Parkway (Just off of Hwy 215N)
Mulberry, AR 72947 

Dardanelle Community Center
2011 Hwy 22 West
Dardanelle, AR 72834

Donald W. Reynolds Community Services Center
211 West 3rd Ave.
Pine Bluff, AR 71601

All recovery centers are accessible to people with disabilities. Centers have assistive technology to aid in communication. To schedule an American Sign Language interpreter, call or text 717- 395-1379.


Individuals who have lost property to the flooding in Conway, Crawford, Faulkner, Jefferson, Perry, Pulaski, Sebastian, and Yell counties should first contact their insurance agencies. If they are not sufficiently covered for their flood losses, they should register with FEMA at either 1-800-621-3362 (open 6am to 10pm CT, seven days a week) or at disasterassistance.gov (open at all times).

For qualified individuals, FEMA can provide housing assistance and help with other needs generated by the flooding, including certain medical, dental, funeral, and child care expenses. FEMA can also refer individuals to the Small Business Administration (SBA). For qualified individuals in Conway, Crawford, Faulkner, Jefferson, Perry, Pulaski, Sebastian, and Yell counties, the SBA can provide loans for up to $200,000 to replace or repair damaged or destroyed real estate, and up to $40,000 to repair or replace damaged personal property. Interest rates on these loans for individual homeowners and renters can be as low as 1.938%. To be considered for such loans, applicants must first register with FEMA.

For qualified businesses and private nonprofits that have suffered losses due to the flooding in Conway, Crawford,Faulkner, Jefferson, Perry, Pulaski, Sebastian, and Yell counties, SBA disaster loans of up to $2 million are available to repair or replace damaged or destroyed real estate, machinery and equipment, inventory, and other business assets. Economic injury loans from the SBA may also be available, regardless of property damage, to help meet working capital needs caused by the disaster. Interest rates can be as low as 4% for businesses and 2.75% for private nonprofit organizations.

FEMA Helpline – For help by phone 6am-10pm CT, seven days a week: 1-800-621-FEMA (1-800-621-3362); TTY 1-800-462-7585

FEMA Website – https://disasterassistance.gov

Regional FEMA Contacts – 940-898-5399 | Twitter: @FEMARegion6 | FEMA Region VI website: https://www.fema.gov/region-vi-arkansas-louisiana-new-mexico-oklahoma-texas

Basic FEMA Information – Basics for disaster assistance: https://www.fema.gov/media-library

SBA Disaster Loan Information – https://disasterloan.sba.gov/ela/Information/Index

SBA Customer Service Center – 1-800-659-2955

U.S. Department of Agriculture

The USDA offersa variety of programs and services to help communities, farmers, ranchers, and businesses that have been affected by the flooding. In general, these resources are available to those who have suffered damages statewide—not just within the eight counties currently covered by the federal Major Disaster Declaration.Producers who incurred a loss as a result of the flooding should visit their local Farm Service Agency (FSA) office to file a loss claim and discuss eligibility. In addition, producers with crop insurance who experience a loss should consult their policy and speak with their insurance agent.

USDA Disaster Assistance Website – https://www.fsa.usda.gov/programs-and-services/disaster-assistance-program/

FSA Disaster Assistance Programs at a Glance – https://www.fsa.usda.gov/Assets/USDA-FSA-Public/usdafiles/FactSheets/2017/fsa_disaster_assistance_programs_at_a_glance_oct2017.pdf

FSA Arkansas State Office – 501-301-3000 | https://www.fsa.usda.gov/state-offices/Arkansas/index

Additional Disaster Aid Links

Beware of Scams– For post-flood tips to avoid ‘flood insurance’ or ‘home improvement’ scams click here.

IRS Relief Options– For information on the most recent IRS-issued tax relief provisions for taxpayers affected by disaster situations click here.

Emergency Food– For assistance paying for food in emergency situations through the Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (D-SNAP) click here.

Paying Utility Bills– For emergency assistance with utility bills through the Arkansas Department of Human Services click here. You can also call the Arkansas Department of Human Services for utility assistance at 501-682-8714.