2019 Flood Resources and Information for Arkansans

Following requests from Governor Asa Hutchinson and the Arkansas federal delegation, President Donald Trump has issued a major disaster declaration for Arkansas, allowing the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to provide various forms of federal assistance for 16 counties: Arkansas, Chicot, Conway, Crawford, Desha, Faulkner, Franklin, Jefferson, Johnson, Lincoln, Logan, Perry, Pope, Pulaski, Sebastian, and Yell.

Arkansans living in Conway, Crawford, Faulkner, Jefferson, Perry, Pulaski, Sebastian, and Yell counties may be eligible for individual assistance. If they are not sufficiently covered for flood damage, Arkansans in these eight counties should register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency. The resources below can help Arkansans in those counties when recovery efforts start.

“I appreciate President Trump’s swift response to the Governor’s request for a Major Disaster Declaration. Arkansans are tough, and challenging times only make us tougher—we are going to help each other recover from these historic floods. My office stands ready to help. Please contact us by phone at 202-224-2353 (DC Office), 501-223-9081 (Little Rock Office), 479-751-0879 (Springdale Office), or visit my website at cotton.senate.gov,” said Cotton.


 Individuals who have lost property to the flooding in Conway, Crawford, Faulkner, Jefferson, Perry, Pulaski, Sebastian, and Yell counties should first contact their insurance agencies. If they are not sufficiently covered for their flood losses, they should register with FEMA at either 1-800-621-3362 (open 6am to 10pm CT, seven days a week) or at disasterassistance.gov (open at all times.)

For qualified individuals, FEMA can provide housing assistance and help with other needs generated by the flooding, including certain medical, dental, funeral, and child care expenses. FEMA can also refer individuals to the Small Business Administration (SBA). For qualified individuals in Conway, Crawford, Faulkner, Jefferson, Perry, Pulaski, Sebastian, and Yell counties, the SBA can provide loans for up to $200,000 to replace or repair damaged or destroyed real estate, and up to $40,000 to repair or replace damaged personal property. Interest rates on these loans for individual homeowners and renters can be as low as 1.938%. To be considered for such loans, applicants must first register with FEMA.

For qualified businesses and private nonprofits that have suffered losses due to the flooding in Conway, Crawford, Faulkner, Jefferson, Perry, Pulaski, Sebastian, and Yell counties, SBA disaster loans of up to $2 million are available to repair or replace damaged or destroyed real estate, machinery and equipment, inventory, and other business assets. Economic injury loans from the SBA may also be available, regardless of property damage, to help meet working capital needs caused by the disaster. Interest rates can be as low as 4% for businesses and 2.75% for private nonprofit organizations.

FEMA Helpline – For help by phone 6am-10pm CT, seven days a week: 1-800-621-FEMA (1-800-621-3362); TTY 1-800-462-7585

 FEMA Website – https://disasterassistance.gov

 Regional FEMA Contacts – 940-898-5399 | Twitter: @FEMARegion6 | FEMA Region VI website: https://www.fema.gov/region-vi-arkansas-louisiana-new-mexico-oklahoma-texas

 Basic FEMA Information – Basics for disaster assistance: https://www.fema.gov/media-library

 SBA Disaster Loan Information – https://disasterloan.sba.gov/ela/Information/Index

 SBA Customer Service Center – 1-800-659-2955

U.S. Department of Agriculture

 The USDA offers a variety of programs and services to help communities, farmers, ranchers, and businesses that have been affected by the flooding. In general, these resources are available to those who have suffered damages statewide—not just within the eight counties currently covered by the federal Major Disaster Declaration.Producers who incurred a loss as a result of the flooding should visit their local Farm Service Agency (FSA) office to file a loss claim and discuss eligibility. In addition, producers with crop insurance who experience a loss should consult their policy and speak with their insurance agent.

USDA Disaster Assistance Website – https://www.fsa.usda.gov/programs-and-services/disaster-assistance-program/

 FSA Disaster Assistance Programs at a Glance – https://www.fsa.usda.gov/Assets/USDA-FSA-Public/usdafiles/FactSheets/2017/fsa_disaster_assistance_programs_at_a_glance_oct2017.pdf

 FSA Arkansas State Office – 501-301-3000 | https://www.fsa.usda.gov/state-offices/Arkansas/index

 Additional Disaster Aid Links

Beware of Scams – For post-flood tips to avoid ‘flood insurance’ or ‘home improvement’ scams click here.

IRS Relief Options – For information on the most recent IRS-issued tax relief provisions for taxpayers affected by disaster situations click here.

  Emergency Food – For assistance paying for food in emergency situations through the Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (D-SNAP) click here.

Paying Utility Bills – For emergency assistance with utility bills through the Arkansas Department of Human Services click here. You can also call the Arkansas Department of Human Services for utility assistance at 501-682-8714.

  Flood Tips From the Office of Attorney General Rutledge

Avoid Additional Risks – Check for warping, loosened, or cracked foundation elements, cracks, and holes. Turn off all water and electrical sources to the home. Beware of rodents, snakes, and other reptiles.

Document the Damage – Take photos or video of the damage before removing the water or any flood-damaged items for any future insurance claims.

Protect Your Health – Standing water and affected areas of your home may be contaminated with sewage or household chemicals. Wear protective gear while cleaning up. Throw out any food that came into contact with flood waters.

Mitigate Mold Damage – Remove carpeting and bedding. Keep affected areas as dry as possible and use a strong cleaner such as bleach.

Removal and Repair – Beware of door-to-door solicitors or anyone asking for payment for the entire job upfront. Verify that the contractor is licensed and insist upon a written contract.

Maps & Local Emergency Information From the Office of Senator Boozman

 Army Corps of Engineers flooding map – https://bit.ly/30Lo0eG

  • Click on “2019 Event Inundation Forecast” tab (top right)
  • Accept Disclaimer and click ‘OK’
  • Click on icon with four squares under address search and select streets

   Road closures – https://www.idrivearkansas.com/

Twitter: @myARDOT

Arkansas.gov website – https://portal.arkansas.gov/pages/flood/

Arkansas Department of Emergency Management – https://adem.arkansas.gov/

Twitter: @AR_Emergencies | Facebook: @ARemergencies

Arkansas State Police – https://asp.arkansas.gov/

Twitter: @ARStatePolice | Facebook: @ARStatePolice

Little Rock District, Army Corps of Engineers – https://www.swl.usace.army.mil/

 Twitter: @usacelittlerock | Facebook: @littlerockusace

(covers AR River from Little Rock to Western Arkansas)

Vicksburg District, Army Corps of Engineers – https://www.mvk.usace.army.mil/

 Twitter: @VicksburgUSACE | Facebook: @VicksburgUSACE

(covers Pine Bluff and Southeast Arkansas)

Permalink: https://www.boozman.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/dr-boozman-s-check-up?id=E0E75FE8-7E00-4340-92E7-A94A9F6F1D67